Sunday, October 08, 2006

The hat is dead!

Well, I frogged my WCTP hat last night, turned the yarn into nice little cheeses, and started again on 4mm needles.

I've only done ten rows so far and I'm already better pleased with it. The fabric on v.1 was dimply and I thought it was something I was doing wrong with my stranding/weaving technique, even though it was dimpled before I started the skully part of the chart. Now I think that perhaps the yarn didn't like being worked at such a tight tension, and the dimples were the expression of that unhappiness.

The new fabric is nice and firm without being stiff and I'm not getting the hand cramps that I had put down to the onset of Autumn aggravating my fibromyalgia. So - Result!

A lot of my frustration disappeared along with the hat and I'm feeling optimistic again. If I had finished the hat as was, I would never have been happy with it.

7 comments:

Daisy said...

Good luck with version 2 and I'm glad you're feeling happier about it! Knitting's no fun otherwise!

dreamcatcher said...

Hoorah for hat version 2! Glad it is turning out as it should this time.

T said...

Excellent! It's no fun to frog and restart and you've been a hero to do it.

acrylik said...

Glad this second version is working out much better for you - black and pink is an excellent combination.

Lindsey said...

I'm getting through the hat this time at great speed - already I'm nearly two-thirds done and in a fraction of the time, and no sore hands either.

Rain said...

I think sometimes it's just better rip and be happy than carry on. I can't wait to see it finished as I love the colours you chose.

Anonymous said...

I just stumbled across your blog, and I have to say that I love the pirate hat! What a bummer that you had to frog it and start again, but at least it will be a perfect fit for you when it's finished!