Sunday, December 04, 2005

Don't forget your donkey!

Lifted from AmyP

The ones in bold are the ones I've read.

1. The HitchHiker's Guide to the Galaxy -- Douglas Adams

2. Nineteen Eighty-Four -- George Orwell
3. Brave New World -- Aldous Huxley
4. Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? -- Philip Dick
5. Neuromancer -- William Gibson
6. Dune -- Frank Herbert
7. I, Robot -- Isaac Asimov
8. Foundation -- Isaac Asimov
9. The Colour of Magic -- Terry Pratchett
10. Microserfs -- Douglas Coupland
11. Snow Crash -- Neal Stephenson
12. Watchmen -- Alan Moore & Dave Gibbons
13. Cryptonomicon -- Neal Stephenson
14. Consider Phlebas -- Iain M Banks
15. Stranger in a Strange Land -- Robert Heinlein
16. The Man in the High Castle -- Philip K Dick
17. American Gods -- Neil Gaiman
18. The Diamond Age -- Neal Stephenson
19. The Illuminatus! Trilogy -- Robert Shea & Robert Anton Wilson
20. Trouble with Lichen - John Wyndham

I wonder what the top 20 things to knit would be? Either general categories or specific patterns. I think it would vary a lot on whether the knitters asked were on the internet or not. I've noticed that net-knitters seem to do more things like socks & bags, and are more prone to the crazes. The non net-knitters I've asked about socks (fr'instance) say, "Oh, I haven't knitted socks since I was at school" or similar. These have tended to be 'venerable' knitting ladies. I was amazed to find out that my mum had knitted socks at school. Maybe that's where she gets her dislike of dpns from?

The poncho craze did sweep the board though, leaving wool shops stunned by the sudden influx of demand for poncho patterns. It hit Dundee in the middle of August 2004, about a week after the schools went back. Suddenly every little girl urgently needed a poncho, there weren't any in the shops, and grannies found their woolly skills much in demand. I loved the harassed look on the wool shop lady when someone asked her about a poncho pattern. She didn't have any and she was innundated by demands. I advised her to tell people to check on the internet, and stunned her still further with the idea of knitting patterns for free on the web. A little light went on over her head. I do like enabling other people's pattern addictions.

No comments: