Friday, February 17, 2006
I bought a teasel brush about three weeks ago and I've had a bit of fun with it. The brushing had a fantastic effect on the Gloriously Fugly hat (which is still In Progress) and I wanted to show off the effect obtained. I had always throught that a teasel brush only really brought up nice effects on natural fibres like angora but a friend told me otherwise which is why I bought one to play about with.
So first of all, I made a hat from two strands of DK and a 8mm crochet hook - one of my instant gratification hats. I took some pictures, attacked half of the hat with the teasel brush and then took some more pictures.
It's the usual rubbish pictures, but I think the change can still be seen. The fabric does become very soft to touch; this was some Elcheapo bogstandard acrylic I had hanging around and it feels delicious now. I want to see what happens when I tease a very scratchy fabric. If two close colours are used the resulting blending is very pretty. That's what happened with the orange and red yarns I used in the Gloriously Fugly hat, which will be appearing on a monitor near you in the near future. I just have to make three or four pompoms for it.*
So - attacking FOs with a sharp metal implement isn't always a bad idea.
*I know, three or four pompoms sounds excessive and they're not going to be dangling from ear flaps either. It already has a mini-curly whirly and some strange surface crochet.